Gerhold CONCRETE Corporate Office
1900 Riverside Blvd., Norfolk, NE 68701
Douglas J. Carroll - General Mgr.
Gerhold Concrete Company, Inc. is based in Norfolk, Nebraska and is a supplier of ready mixed concrete, concrete block, segmental retaining wall, precast concrete, brick and other building materials throughout Nebraska and Iowa. Gerhold Concrete Company, Inc has been serving the construction industry in Nebraska since 1869.
Started by a pioneer, reactivated and developed by his son, expanded by his grandsons, and revitalized by the Lyman-Richey Corporation, this Nebraska business celebrated its 140th birthday in 2009.
Gerhold Concrete Company, Inc has long been recognized as a leader in the construction industry in Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, and more recently in Iowa.
Gerhold Company began when William F. Gerhold, a veteran of the American Civil War and wounded at Shiloh, came to the fertile Platte valley in the mid-1800’s to begin a new life.
Platte County, Nebraska was beginning a program to lay out new roads into the surrounding rural area of homesteaders. According to handwritten records still on file in the Platte County Court House in Columbus, William F. Gerhold tendered a bid and was awarded a contract on June 8, 1869 for the sum of $1,800.00 to build two bridges across Shell Creek. A year later he again was building bridges in Platte County.
In 1921 his sons William Gerhold, Sr. and the late A.N. “Doc” Gerhold formed a partnership with L.P. Carstenson and Walter Matzen to supply sand and gravel in the construction of a project known as a “seeding mile of concrete paving” on old Lincoln Highway, now Federal Highway # 30 south of Columbus.
The Gerhold Company teamed up with another famous Nebraska firm, Peter Kiewit and Sons, to construct highways in the area of Norfolk and Erickson, Nebraska.
In 1935 the Gerhold Company played a major part in the construction of the Loup Power District canal in Nebraska running from Columbus to Genoa as well as a number of bridges in the area. The construction business continued to develop and grew during those years through the ingenuity, skill, and spirit of competitive contracting. New methods were employed to give better service at a lower cost to the citizens of Nebraska.
In 1947, the Gerhold Company began a ready mix division in Columbus, Nebraska, and added a concrete block production plant in 1952. This ready mix and block production operation continues to operate in Columbus today. Ready mix and block production plants were later added at Norfolk in 1956 and Fremont in 1964 to serve North Eastern Nebraska. Other ready mix plant expansions in Nebraska included production facilities at York in 1972, Seward and Milford in 1974, Wayne and McCook in 1985, West Point in 1986, Laurel in 1998, Blair in 1999, Grand Island in 2001, and Wisner, Osmond, and Hartington Nebraska in 2011. Additional ready mix expansions in 2001 included locations at Onawa, Missouri Valley, Mapleton, and Washington Iowa.
Although not all the production facilities are still producing product for us today, since the 1940’s, Gerhold Concrete has continued to actively grow in the ready mix concrete, masonry, and precast industries through various expansions and acquisitions in Nebraska and Iowa. In 1989 Gerhold Concrete was acquired by the Lyman-Richey Corporation based out of Omaha Nebraska and became a part of the Ash Grove family of companies.
Gerhold Concrete Company, Inc has seen many changes throughout its 140 plus years in the building construction industry. With the diversity it has acquired, Gerhold Concrete Company, Inc continues to look toward the future with enthusiasm, knowing we have a long history of loyal employees, a dedication to the safety of our employees, quality products, and the support to continue to provide the highest level of service for our customers.
Lyman-Richey Corporation Mission Statement: “To provide quality product and superior service with exceptional value to our customers”.